Anyone using Abranet mesh abrasive?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
October 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM #383

Ken Bayer

Can anyone comment on the advantages of using a new product called Mirka Abranet mesh abrasive? I’ve seen advertisements for a complete random orbit sander system with a special power supply and a dust collection vacuum set up for $1000.00; called a Mirka “Ceros”. Can you use this mesh abrasive on a regular random orbit sander? What are the advantages; any disadvantages other than price?
Thanks Ken Bayer

November 6, 2013 at 5:56 AM #426

Ben Abate

Ken,
If you find out any information about this product please post it. there are a few items of this type that I have seen over the years and I’ve come to think they are mostly for higher end finishes. Polishing to a higher luster. Not completely sure about this because i’ve seen some of these advertised in grits of 220/320

Ben

June 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM #918

Ken Bayer

I posted this question about 7 months ago, and I was recently re-reading an article in Fine Woodworking Magazine (I love retirement!) that answered my question. See FW 222, page 40. The article compared 8 different disks including the Abranet product and compared finish, rate of wood removal, and cost.

In the final analysis there was no difference in the quality of the finish for any given grit; no suprise there. In terms of wood removal rate in grams/minute, and cost in grams-removed/penny the Abranet product was well below average.

Also, the author found no significant difference in the effectiveness of dust collection, although, to be fair, he wasn’t using the $1000.00 Ceros system.

I have concluded that there is no advantage, and, in fact, several disadvantages, to the Abranet product.

The “best value” and “best overall” went to a regular paper disk “Klingspor VD900” which uses an aluminum oxide abrasive with a stearate coating.
Thanks Ken

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.